Sunday, April 11, 2010

Back to work

Last week was my first week back to work. After dreading it since pregnancy, it ended up not being as bad as I thought in a lot of ways. I'm fortunate that NITA is allowing me to come back 30 hours a week, working three days in the office and the remaining time from home. I missed Micah a LOT, but getting out of the house, interacting with other adults, and using my brain was really nice.

Micah had a very rough Monday and Tuesday was almost as bad--even though I was home that day. The rest of the week was definitely better and that helped me feel more at ease when I was away. Knowing he couldn't be in better care--between Dad and Grandma--was and is very reassuring.

In general, the past six weeks have been harder than the first six. Aaron and I have come to the conclusion that we have somewhat of a high-needs baby. He went through a stage early on (around 4-6 weeks) where he was pretty colicky from eight to midnight. Now he's pretty fussy a lot of the day--mainly due to not napping. Motion is our primary avenue for getting him to sleep--usually the exercise ball. He definitely makes you work for it! Aaron seems particularly gifted at bouncing for hours on end and he'll have Micah to thank for burning all those calories. :-)






















This little mister is a snuggler. And he does not want you to put him down. Ever. His longest nap in his crib was 30 min. up until this past week. Now it's 45 min! But most days he will wake up as soon as we put him down.

But of course he continues to win our hearts daily with his smiles, coos, and nuzzles...we're thankful we get to be his parents. And we have a milestone to report this week: he rolled over from his stomach to his back - yahoo!
















2 comments:

jgribble said...

You guys, Micah is just gorgeous. (And you should probably be professional photographers...the photos are amazing!) Anna, I'm glad that going back to work has its good side...Micah is in good hands, and the publishing world needs you! Can't wait to meet the little guy.
Love, Jess

~ tara said...

Anna,
I just read your blog post. Harper was the same way - tough cookie. The 5 month mark was huge for us and since then she has been a different baby. I went back to work at 4 months and felt very guilty but it was the best thing for me - a reason to shower, talk to adults, and time to eat lunch - amazing! I hope that things are going better for you. Hang in there - you are doing a great job and soon you will be able to look back and be amazed at what you can get through - I know we are!
Tara